Au Pair Host Family Requirements
As a J-1 au pair sponsor, GreatAuPair requires that families meet the US Department of State requirements for hosting an au pair.
In order to qualify, families must:
- Have both parents be US citizens or permanent legal residents
- Speak English as the primary language in your home
- Provide the au pair with a private bedroom
- Submit a completed GreatAuPair USA application
- Provide two references and one employment reference
- Have the financial resources to meet your hosting obligations
- Meet with your Local Childcare Coordinator for an in-home interview
- Have all adult family members successfully pass a background check
- Agree to comply with GreatAuPair and Department of State requirements
- Create a schedule for the au pair that does not exceed the au pair working 45 hours per week or 10 hours per day
- Provide your au pair a positive cultural exchange experience and welcome them as a member of the family
If your family meets these requirements, you can be on your way to hosting an au pair in a matter of weeks.