Au Pair Program Costs for Au Pairs
Being an au pair is an amazing life-changing experience. Like anything of lasting value, the au pair program also requires a small upfront investment. Don't worry! It's just a nominal fee associated with applying for and placing you in the GreatAuPair USA program.
Before you get nervous about cost, we'll let you in on a little secret: you can offset the expense by earning over US $10,000 during your year in the US. That's right! The au pair program is one of the few types of J-1 programs where you can live with an American family and earn money. You will receive a weekly stipend from your host family that can total over US $10,000 a year.
Before you can start earning money, you need to spend some money. We've all been 18 to 26 before, and we understand where you are in life. As such we keep our program fees as low as possible.
Here's how it breaks down.
Au Pairs must pay:
- Au Pair Program Application Fee
- Au Pair Program Placement Fee - Due upon matching with your host family so that your visa paperwork can be FedEx'd to you and travel arrangements can be made on your behalf.
- To obtain your J-1 Au Pair Visa, you are responsible for your DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application which is required for your interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your home country. The DS-160 fee is approximately $160 and paid directly to the U.S. Government when you set your appointment for the visa interview.
Program Fees vary by country. Want to know more? Please contact email@example.com for more information.
Au Pairs receive:
- Minimum weekly au pair stipend of US $195.75 (calculated based on federal minimum wage; subject to change)
- $500 Educational Allowance from your host family
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- Documentation to apply for a J-1 au pair visa
- International airfare from your home country to your host family's community
- Travel and accident insurance
- Two weeks paid vacation
- Full support from our caring GreatAuPair team
- Post-arrival orientation with your Local Childcare Coordinator
- Monthly au pair activities
- After hours support from GreatAuPair for emergencies
- The opportunity to extend for a second year